marathon training ftw!

Sep 10th 2012 05:46:54 pm

I am happy. And sore. I ran the NYRR Bronx 10 Miler on Sunday. It was the final run in a big 40-mile training week and I had intended to take it really easy. I ran 13 easy miles on Saturday at Team in Training practice and didn’t know what to expect doing double digits again the next day. Surprisingly, it was an incredible and fast run!

The weather was beautiful yesterday. Clear skies and low humidity. We were late to the start line, but not stressed. I started the race too fast, but felt great and decided to see what I could do. Despite the fast start, I achieved pretty perfect negative splits. Nearly the whole race I was thinking, “I can do this on the last 10 of the NYC marathon if I don’t do it on the first 10.” We’ll see about that, but success with these two days of long runs definitely gives me confidence for the Goofy Challenge in January.

I am reluctant to post my time because I really don’t want to compete with anyone other than myself, but I will say that I ended up with my fastest pace in any race this year! Even shorter races! I’m looking forward to finding out what I can do at the Staten Island Half Marathon next month.

I ran the Bronx race two years ago when it was a half marathon. I ran much, much slower then and was just happy to finish. I have been marathon training for nearly three years straight, and although it is slow going, it is working!

But even at my top speed, Brian, Sarah, and Travis finished much faster!

(For the record, I have deliberately and slowly worked up to these training distances and I am doing them for a specific purpose: an ambitious winter race schedule. I listen closely to my body, cross train, and take rest days. I do not recommend or endorse these distances for beginners. Be smart, everyone.)

5 Comments » Categories: Exercise, Feeling Happy, Health, New York, running, Team In Training

5 Responses to “marathon training ftw!”

1. Kathleen on 10 Sep 2012 at 6:46 pm #

Congratulations on meeting your fastest pace. My 14 year old son just starting running last Spring in track. This fall he is running in cross country and placed 7th in his first 3 mile race.

Thanks for posting about your races and training. You are an inspiration!

2. Joel on 10 Sep 2012 at 9:47 pm #

Have I told you that I’m proud of you and excited for you? ‘Cause I am.

3. P1 on 11 Sep 2012 at 9:02 am #

I’m reluctant to post my time because . . . it’s pathetic!

4. rachel on 11 Sep 2012 at 9:46 am #

I don’t care what your time is, P1. I am impressed with your hard work!

5. end of the season… // rachel & the city on 04 Dec 2012 at 11:06 pm #

[...] Night at the Brooklyn Cyclones, a big fundraiser event planned by Lynn and me /// my fast showing at the Bronx 10k /// my huge PR at the Staten Island Half Marathon /// fun times at the Nike Women’s Half [...]