personal record

Oct 7th 2012 03:06:31 pm

In the year 2000, I ran the Drake Relays Half Marathon in 2:07:55. (That is 19-year-old me running the race above.)

Today, I ran the Staten Island Half Marathon exactly 6 minutes faster. A big PR, 12 years in the making!

Travis ran with me during the whole race and kept me on pace. (He PR’d last week in the Hamptons, so this was just a long run for him.) The weather was a perfect 50 degrees. I stayed focused and worked hard. I didn’t even bring my phone or water bottle! It was difficult, but overall it was less painful than I expected. I had some cramping in my diaphragm late in the race, but still managed to beat my original sub-2:10 goal. Thank you, Travis!

I am happy. In a complete reversal of my usual training assumptions, I think that my speed workouts this season have been much more beneficial than my distance workouts. I am grateful to my persistent Team in Training coaches for showing me that.

Surprisingly, I think Reach the Beach was the most beneficial. It gave me confidence and “permission” to run my hardest and see what I can do. Just for fun. Thank you Warriors and Coach Joel!

I still have work to do. A sub-2-hour half now seems like a possibility!

UPDATE: The race photos are in… and they aren’t half bad!

10 Comments » Categories: Feeling Happy, New York, running, Team In Training, Travis

10 Responses to “personal record”

1. Lela on 07 Oct 2012 at 3:28 pm #

Congratulations Rachel! You can definitely go sub-2!

2. P1 on 08 Oct 2012 at 6:28 am #

I can understand not bringing your phone (since Travis was beside you), but why did you leave behind your water? Did they have water at stations along the way? Did you not want to carry the extra weight?

3. rachel on 08 Oct 2012 at 7:58 am #

I usually ALWAYS carry my water bottle, but this time I decided to stop at every water station instead. They were about every two miles anad gave me a little mental break. Also, Travis carried a water bottle which I borrowed a few times. I wanted to run as unencumbered as possible to see if it made a difference while really racing. I think it did, but I’ll still carry my bottle for most other races.

4. amy sitar on 08 Oct 2012 at 2:11 pm #

yes, speed workouts!
    you + hard work = amazing things!
    way to go, rachel!

5. rachel on 10 Oct 2012 at 9:31 am #

Thanks, Amy! You have been so helpful and kind.

I am not 100% sure what the point of all this running is — other than fitness, fun, a challenge, raising funds to fight cancer, friends, etc — but I am going to keep it up! :)

6. Kathleen on 14 Oct 2012 at 7:49 pm #

Congratulations Rachel!

7. Nike Women’s Half Marathon in SF // rachel & the city on 24 Oct 2012 at 2:03 pm #

[...] only ran the Half Marathon. Since I had raced the Staten Island Half the week before (and got a surprisingly speedy time) and am gearing up for the NYC Marathon as my main race this season, I planned to just have a ton [...]

8. The Philadelphia Marathon // rachel & the city on 19 Nov 2012 at 5:34 pm #

[...] Really hard. I ran almost 50% more miles than last fall season. I achieved a crazy fast time at the SI Half. I had high hopes for my full marathon… even if it couldn’t be [...]

9. end of the season… // rachel & the city on 04 Dec 2012 at 11:06 pm #

[...] Cyclones, a big fundraiser event planned by Lynn and me /// my fast showing at the Bronx 10k /// my huge PR at the Staten Island Half Marathon /// fun times at the Nike Women’s Half Marathon in San Diego /// the cancellation of the NYC [...]

10. so many running-related updates // rachel & the city on 31 Oct 2013 at 4:09 pm #

[…] Above is my current Brooklyn Team in Training. We are all participating in the “Endless Summer” (winter) season and training for either the Bermuda or New Orleans Half Marathon. I’m Social Captain again this season, and although our group is small, it is awesome. Last night we had a “Socktober” costume contest and a 5k test. I ran (maybe) my fastest 5k ever (sub 9min/miles, but still didn’t break 28 minutes – boo) and felt great. Travis was sweet and paced me the whole way. I run my best races when he helps me. […]